I’m talking about The Escape Pod’s blog.
Ok, its not the only ad agency blog worth reading, but, hey, lets face it, how many of these word-rich-self-loving missives ever enrich anything? Ooops, I’m being harsh.
In my line of work I read (well, actually scan) a bunch of ad agency blogs. Note to my clients: I actually do read your blogs, I swear it!
Ok, for all of you other ad agencies. Here are some thoughts on what to do and some reasons I like The Escape Pod’s blog.
- Please be fun to read. Fun does not have to mean witty (although Escape Pod is witty) — it just means fun (which can also, for me, mean intellectually stimulating.)
- Have a (fresh) point of view.
- Have a personality. Its OK if your blog sounds like a human wrote it.
- Don’t parrot everyone else. We’all don’t need more words on how to blog; the joy of responsive design; Twitter for marketers; or the post (this is real) -> “The New Landscape of Content Marketing” from one of Chicago’s leading agencies. Note to self: I might err on this “don’t parrot” thing, since this post is about an agency’s blog.
- Enlighten me: Like “Behold the Power of Video Demonstration” does, even if it isn’t what you’d expect a creative agency to love.
- Get the idea of Portland.
- Oh, and have a really smart kid.
One more point. Have an agency About page that moves the reader.
Bottom line? The Escape Pod is interesting and makes interesting advertising. Interesting is good. Interesting sells.
Email me – look up and left for an email link – and lets discuss how your agency will never do irrelevant (as in not strategic) blog postings.