Here is a sweet chart from a study on content marketing from Eloqua. The bottom line… create smart, targeted, strategic content (think blogs, white papers, SlideShare presentations, etc.) that will work as inbound marketing tools and client magnets. Content marketing works for me. That’s how I get my qualified leads. Here is the chart.
Here is a fast micro plan for how to do it. Of course, the devil is in the details.
- Go get a blank media / creative brief and write it like you would do for a new client program:
- Determine who your target audience is. Is it any client with over $1,000,000 to spend? The dentist down the street? The entire automative category?It probably isn’t the art director at the competitive agency so stop writing the 7,000th blog post on responsive design with keywords only a web developer will be interested in.
- Determine what you want your target audience to do. Like, call you up. Or, join your mailing list.
- Create a two – three month content plan. Think like an editor. What will the subjects be that will be of interest to your audience? What are the keywords they use to search for information?
- Assign someone to mange and at least a couple of people to write the blog.
- Start with at least 15 blog posts of from 500 to 1,000 words.
- Keep at it. As the chart shows, it takes a loooong time to get up to speed.
- Tie the blog automatically to Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+.
Then…kiss your new clients.