Let’s start this talk about advertising agency video marketing as a core sales tool for business development in two ways. Then I will point you to a super-smart ad agency video series. The videos I’ll show are aimed directly at a client’s needs (strategic needs). These videos are well-produced, and sell the agency leader. A good thing. People buy people. The videos also leverage the power of LinkedIn.
OK, Some Bad and Good Advertising Agency Video Marketing
- The bad: I am continually amazed at how few advertising agencies use agency-oriented video to help them market their agency. If they do, it is usually a sizzle real. A ganged-up sizzle real that might do more for the creative department’s ego than a tool to sell a future client.
- The good: Every once in a while I see an agency getting video promotion right. In my mind, this means using video to introduce the agency and its story (quickly), super-smart thinking, a demonstration of agency culture and a look at the people who live inside that agency. Client-people like people so why not show your agency-people to help sell the agency – with some humanness?
Reasons To Use Video
The last truly “revelatory” thing I can tell an advertising agency is that video is a great marketing tool. Like, um, I know that you know this. But, then, why do so many of yous guys not use it for self-promotion? So, here are some reasons to use video marketing – now.
Most advertising agency websites have similar attributes (like the same old same old navigation – not bad – but the same old same old). Few, few, open up with a short but very sweet video to tell the visitor how wonderful (and different) the agency is. No not a sizzle real. A personal message. Not an “I am wonderful” message. A “this is who we” are message. And, even a “what we can do for you” message.
- Clients buy people. Many agencies are GREAT, But, so is the next agency next door. Video will make you stand out and sell your story, soul, and grooviness. Soul is an element often missing from the advertising / digital agency website and general marketing experience.
- Get the video out there – amplify it… Your video can run on your website, importantly in direct emails, on LinkedIn, Twitter, TikTok, and, of course, on YouTube (inside your effective channel).
- !!! Google loves video. Video SEO rocks.
- Video works especially well for your mobile viewers. They will thank you for this. Viewing a video vs. scrolling on a tiny screen will win you points.
- Video drives social shares (like I am doing below).
Speaking of LinkedIn, it really likes videos. A lot. Some words on LinkedIn video from Hootsuite:
In one year, LinkedIn video posts generated more than 300 million impressions on the platform. They also earn an average of three times the engagement of text posts. Plus, early findings from LinkedIn’s beta program show that LinkedIn native videos are five times more likely than other content to start a conversation among LinkedIn members.
Impressive engagement stats aside, video marketing has been shown to boost revenue across social platforms. According to Aberdeen Group, brands that use video marketing grow their revenue 49 percent faster than companies that don’t.
Producing video for an advertising agency is cheap (or, at least cost effective). You do stuff like this for a living.
Ok, on to a very good example of an advertising agency’s video marketing.
Transom Design On LinkedIn: Advertising Agency Video Marketing That Sells
Transom was a Seattle-based marketing/branding services agency. Well, Seattle-based until Andrew Means, Transom’s leader and creative Director, recently moved the agency’s home base to Marbella Spain. Hey, if you can work from anywhere then I think that Marbella is a tiny bit cooler than moving to Kansas.
Tipsy! is a new video series that focuses on wine branding and marketing from a human psychology perspective. Each episode we’ll be examining a different way our brains influence our buying decisions, so that all the hard work in the cellar has an opportunity to truly sing. Let us know if you’d like us to examine anything in a future episode!
- The power of Andrew’s strategic insights includes what really happens deep inside wine buyers’ heads (wine buying is an experience) and how adding the cost of shipping to the price of the wine will dramatically increase sales (Wow). These insights prove Andrew’s expertise to the wine producer market.
- How cool Andrew delivers his thinking. He is a natural. If I was a winery marketer, I’d want to get to know Andrew.
- How he incorporates graphics.
- Transom’s video production values rock.
- Yes, Transom is one of my clients. I had to say this.
Another idea. Get a celebrity to endorse you. Here is how I used Borat to promote my 2021 “Advertising Stories” podcast series. Quite a few people asked me how I got Borat to endorse me. I had to go to Kazakhstan. “Борат мен сені жақсы көремін, міне $12,000″