A 2013 study by the research firm Provoke Insights confirmed what we all know. The advertising agency new business pitching process can be debilitating.
“… approximately half (47%) of advertising professionals surveyed by Provoke Insights say they are dissatisfied with the current internal approach to pitching.
47%. Ok, pitching is intense. So, what else is new? Pitching is also intense for architects, nuclear power plant designers and fighter jets salespeople. Writing, presenting and winning (or losing) pitches is intense.
It can also be exhilarating (more on that a bit later.)
Other findings on pitching:
Issues include: “unrealistic timelines” say 66% of respondents / “long work hours” say 65%
And, because Provoke is a research company who paid for the research, we get this nod towards having insightful insights:
“Forty-four percent of advertising professionals stated that if there were better availability of research and data, pitches would run smoother and (be) more successful.”
Here’s more on what resources agencies say they need to kill it:
By the way, I posted about how to use free, smart internet based tools to create insights here: 13 Free Big Data Tools For Advertising Agency New Business.
Back to exhilarating.
- Pitches are a major way agencies win new business. Ya gotta be in the game. Maybe Droga5 can get away without pitching.
- Pitches make sense if they make sense. Don’t pitch just any account just for the sake of pitching.
- Pitches are team sports and, importantly, build team spirit.
- Pitches help agency staff stand out and be stars. Especially important in larger agencies.
- Pitches are fun to run if you know what you are doing and have a solid plan.
- Pitches, winning pitches that is, can make the agency happy and richer. A good thing.
- Pitches hone agency thinking; highlight skills and help agencies think about what the agency actually has to offer or needs to build for the future. I think that the benefit of forced introspection is underrated.
The full report can be read on AdRants.
I’ve tried to make the art and science of pitching more successful and even fun. Just read my book. Look up top to learn more and make that all important purchase that will lead to more — wins.